Long run thoughts.....

Today on our long run, we struggled a little through the hills and miles, but ran the whole thing and felt awesome (and exhausted) by the end. We spent the first 6 miles or so catching up on our relationship troubles (running is so good for that), the middle miles about work, restaurants, and vacations, and the last mile on how far we've come.

We remembered back to the days when we couldn't run a mile. We thought about that random day last November when I asked Shelley if she wanted to try a 9 mile run with me. That one little question changed everything. It got me my weekly running partner, brought Shelley & I closer than ever, and changed me into a person more committed to their training. Previous half marathon trainings I had skipped many long runs, and ran the race under prepared. But with Shelley by my side, we only missed 2 long runs due to weather or hungoverness, and we finished RnR New Orleans better prepared than I ever dreamed we would be. We're now training for RnR Providence and are at the point where a 13 mile run is a casual training run. I won't lie, we still want to die sometimes, but a 13 mile run has gotten a lot easier over the months. I'm hoping that this will help us as we get ready to start training for our first  full Marathon in September.
Now that we're so comfortable with the distance, we need to work on our speed. I am so thankful to have my running partner Shelley!

When did a certain insurmountable distance become a regular training run for you?
Do you have a partner you're thankful for?

I spent the rest of the day relaxing, shopping, and watching food network. Hope you all enjoyed your weekend!


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Running partners are the best!

Raquelita said...

It's great to have a regular running partner for those longer mileage days!

Distance is so relative. Three weeks ago 10, 13, 15 miles felt like a shorter long run, but now that I'm post marathon even a few miles is tough. I know in a few weeks when I'm back into a training cycle that will change again, though.

Lisa said...

Words cannot describe how thankful I am for "C" and "L"!!!! I know without a doubt I would never have gone more than 2 miles without them!!!!!

Although I don't LOVE running, I sure would be thankful to feel as if 13 miles was no big thang! I have run 13 miles 6 times - still very hard and very painful!!! Maybe by the end of the year after I've trained for and completed 4 or 5 half marathons and all the training that goes with it?????

The Green Girl said...

Love this. Running friends are the best.

Suzy said...

I've never had a regular running partner (unless you count my treadmill). I just do it by myself and get it done. It is fun running with people though!

Sara said...

I am SO thankful for my running club and the friends I have made there. They came (as a surprise) to Pittsburgh to see me to the finish during my first marathon and I would NOT have been able to finish without them! My running friends, who started as simply training partners, are my best friends now. I am glad you have found the same thing. I can't wait to follow your training to your first half - how awesome!!

 
DESIGN BY: THE BLOG DECORATOR