I need to share my delicious Mac & Cheese recipe from Fitness magazine that I tried out yesterday. WOW, the most delish low cal/fat mac & cheese I have ever tasted. I could have eaten the whole thing. It doesn't make a ton, do you may want to double the recipe.
Mac & Cheese Light
makes 4 servings, 5points each
237 cal, 7g fat, 3g fiber
nonstick cooking spray
4 ounces whole wheat macaroni
1large vidalia onion
9 garlic cloves
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup shredded 50% reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/3 cup nonfat greek yogurt
1/4 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1. combine 1large vidalia onion & 9 garlic cloves roughly chopped & 1/2 cup water into a microwave safe bowl. season with salt & pepper. cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap & microwave on high for 10 minutes. Pour into a blender & blend until smooth. Makes 1 cup, but use only half for the mac & cheese recipe.
2. pre-heat oven to 425 deg, coat 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray & set aside.
3. cook macaroni to package directions
4. In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup of the onion/garlic puree, mustard, and cayenne to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk in cheddar until melted. remove from heat & whisk in yogurt.
5. In a medium bowl, toss macaroni with the cheese sauce. Season with salt to taste. Pour into prepared baking dish & sprinkle with panko breadcrumbs & parmesan cheese.
6. Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
This was the creamiest, cheesiest, low cal mac & cheese I could have never dreamt up on my own. I enjoyed the leftovers tonight for dinner!
Now time to finish my get better plan with some green tea, relaxing on the couch & America's Next Top Model!